Indoor mold contamination can negatively affect your indoor air quality and can cause distress for those allergic or sensitive to mold. More importantly, mold growth often occurs as a result of a moisture problem, such as a slow leak or high humidity, that can result in additional damage to your property if it is not handled promptly.
While there has been a lot of information and debate about the dangers of mold, the reality is that mold growth shouldn’t occur indoors. The specific type of mold isn’t important, but the amount of mold growth will dictate the proper procedures for mold remediation.
Mold growth is common in properties that have been impacted by water damage or high humidity. Mold actually thrives in indoor environments where food sources are plenty and the temperature is warm – all that is required is a source of moisture to allow the mold to grow and spread.
If you notice visible mold growth, you should look for signs of water damage such as soft spots or staining. With water damage, mold growth can typically be prevented if drying begins within 24 hours, as mold growth can begin in as little as 48 hours after the introduction of the water source.
It is recommended that large areas of mold growth be properly remediated by a professional who can effectively address the source of the moisture and who will take extra precautions when handling and removing the mold. You may be able to clean small areas of mold growth yourself if you have protective equipment, but if the mold returns or spreads it’s best to consult a professional.
Our partner, ServiceMaster by Mimsco, is committed to providing honest, ethical, and responsible mold remediation services. We have extensive training in mold remediation and are certified water damage professionals who can help you solve your mold problem for good. Contact us today to learn more.